Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] aaronsuperguy@yahoo.com is offline

Default Whirlpool Water Heater Conversion Kit

I was having problems with my water heater pilot light not staying
lit. The thermocoupler had gone out yet again. Lowes said they had
stopped making the left threaded thermocoupler for this unit and
Whirlpool had supplied a converion kit to correct the reoccuring
problem. I thought this would be the answer to my problems,so I would
not have to replace the thermocoupler once a year. I got the kit home
shut off the gas and took out the old assembly. You would think I
could just put the new assembly, but no I have to take the
burner,ignitor and the orifice off the old assembly. The orifice
would not come off. I tried and tried and it eventually stripped and
now it is useless and so is the conversion kit without the orifice.
Now on top of not having hot water,my gas is off and I have no heat.
I may could turn the gas on with the water heater off, but working
with gas makes me nervous. If it gets too cold I may try that.