Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] tnom@mucks.net is offline

Default Garage Door Woes - The Next Chapter

On Tue, 10 Feb 2009 15:55:06 -0800 (PST), Fleemo
wrote:

My problem with the garage door opener not closing has continued for
weeks now. The door lowers to about 2/3 of the way down, then
reverses. I called one company to repair it. They charged me $85 for
the service call, and an hour later it was doing the same thing. He
came back out, made some more adjustments, then said if it continued
to act up, I'd need to replace the opener itself. The opener is less
than four years old. I called a second company to assess the problem
and they tell me the springs need to be replaced -- a mere $400 job.
At this point, I don't know who to believe. Is it likely the opener
went bad in only four years? Does this problem sound like it could be
alleviated by a new set of springs?

Your springs go bad when they lose their tension. Your problem is not
the springs because if anything your springs get stretched to tight on
the way down.

Do as others have said. Unhook the door at the safety release and
move the door by hand. See if the door seems to be reasonably equally
balanced by the two springs. Then see if the door tends to not roll
smooth or bind from one side or the other.

Keep the electric eyes clean and look to see if they seem to be
pointed accurately.

See if the drive mechanism chain or belt is not sagging to much.
Adjust if necessary.

Operate the opener without the door to see if this functions
correctly.

Adjust the downforce control for greater force if everything from
above seems OK.