Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.basics
John Fields John Fields is offline

Default UK source for this magnetic switch?

On Tue, 10 Feb 2009 05:58:52 GMT, Ross Herbert
wrote:

On Mon, 09 Feb 2009 14:44:52 -0600, John Fields
wrote:

:On Mon, 09 Feb 2009 08:59:21 GMT, Ross Herbert
:wrote:
:
:On Sun, 08 Feb 2009 20:01:18 -0800, David Nebenzahl
:wrote:
:
::On 2/7/2009 3:32 AM Terry Pinnell spake thus:
::
:: Can anyone point me towards a UK source (phone or online) for an
:: inexpensive cylindrical, enclosed reed switch, N/C, for use in a
:: burglar alarm circuit please.
::
:: I'm still googling but so far without success and want to place an
:: order for delivery Monday.
::
::Sorry, I can't help, being in the US where things like this are
::trivially easy to get.
:
:Have you been wondering why the OP has not bothered to respond to any of the
:
:I would bet my last cent that he is a troll and many have been drawn to the
:apparently innocent "come in sucker" question.
:
:---
:And you'd lose.
:---

I'm not so sure about that. While there are many replies from others there is
not one which points to a supply source.

---
???

There are several.
---

So where is there a response from him
to indicate he requires further clarification or assistance?

To request help and
then not respond is just plain rude in my book. Even something letting people
know he was interested in their answers would be nice.

---
So now you're setting yourself up as the arbiter of what a proper time
for response is?
---

:Terry hasn't been around for a while, but when he was a regular his
osts were always interesting and his demeanor always polite.

Unlike yourself as we can see from your final epithet in this response of yours.

---
I'm seldom polite when I'm dealing with assholes, but we're not talking
about me, we're talking about whether Terry's a troll or not, and you,
with your formidable 21 post history in this group have taken it upon
yourself to start unwarranted namecalling? As I said before, **** you.
---

: Nobody is so dumb that he doesn't
:know that such devices are readily available from any number of electronics
:parts outlets.
:
:---
:It's not so much about being dumb as it is about not knowing something
:and asking for help.

The term "dumb" was meant to convey "ignorance".

---
You're a liar. It was intended to be an insult.
---

And ignorance in this case as
to how to find the part he was looking for. He states in his request that he
knows the part is used in burglar alarms and that it is a reed switch which can
be operated by a magnet. Now anybody with a modicum of intelligence in using
Google can combine 2 of these facts into a search term. For example;
burglar+alarm+reed+switch. And if he was aware of Google's ability to search
within a locale he would add uk at the end to get results for his country. To be
completely correct for a locale search the term would be site:.uk

---
What you're missing is that he was Googling for magnetically unbiased
_normally closed_ reed switches,(which are as rare as hen's teeth) and
that he was apprised of that and what to search for.
---

:They are just as trivially easy to get in the UK as in the US.
:For example, Maplin is well known to all electronics hobbyists...
:http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...eed%20Swi tch
:and many others carry similar items.
:
:---
:So, instead of just posting the link, (which would have been helpful)
:you accompany it with a slap, which does nothing but start trouble.
:
:**** you.
:
:JF

John, you have just compounded the situation with your gratuitous and uncalled
for FU compliment.

---
IMO, it wasn't gratuitous, it was well deserved.
---

I was not intending to deliver a slap along with the helpful link, but simply to
prompt the OP to respond in some manner. You took that responsibility for
yourself instead of letting him do so.

---
No, I decided to insult you because of the heavy-handed way you decided
to treat someone you knew nothing about.
---

If the OP has been following the thread which he started in the hope of getting
help (why would he have posted if not to follow and read answers?) then why has
he not responded with some sort of indication that he requires further
clarification or that he welcomes the suggestions?

---
Perhaps because he'd been unable to?
---

That is tantamount to "trolling" in my opinion.

---
You've got a lot to learn, newbie.

JF