Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default water heater install in nc

flir67 wrote in news:590f993e-9889-4a6e-9977-
:

I need some advice with a gas water heater install. the old water
heater is 28years old. I've done weeks of research on how to install
it. the only problem I have is the gas valve next to the water heater
has bolt going through it. the top of the valve looks like a old valve
(1978 house was built) it has a big head on it for a wrench with a nut
on the bottom side of it.

I want to replace it but I'm not looking forward to turning all the
gas off in the house. any one recommend any problems I may run into if
I cut off all the gas into the house. I read up on these forums about
failure for the gas to cut back on afte its been turned off.

I have a new pilot-free furnace so no worries there. gas heater is
only other gas appliance.

thanks inadvance.

home depot wants 400. for a water heater install
and I called a local plumber company and they want 500.00 for the
install.

I don't have this much to pay. I want to do the work myself.

Call the gas compay for an estimate as well. Least likely to rip you off
and you know it's done right.

Do you have a water heater yet? If not, may find a decent used one on
craigslist.org