Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Fireplace, hearth and bricks?

Van Chocstraw wrote:
One wrote:
Hi experts - I have a house that was built in the 1950s and I would
like remove the hearth off of the floor so that my couch can go in
it's place.

I took the top slab of concrete off of the hearth with no problem :
http://www.checkeredshirt.com/firepl...08-2009106.jpg

However underneath the top slab is a layer of mortar, and then another
layer of brick :
http://www.checkeredshirt.com/firepl...08-2009107.jpg
http://www.checkeredshirt.com/firepl...08-2009108.jpg

I do not care about the condition of the floor since the couch will be
there anyway.
So my questions is :
If I remove the top layer of mortar from the top of the bricks, will
the bricks simply be able to be picked right up and removed off of the
floor ?
OR, will each individual brick be mortared to the floor as well ?

Any adivce, etc is welcome - this is not my area, and the wife is
worried! lol

Thanks.

Another nice fireplace destroyed.

My thought exactly. Put the hearth back, and get a different couch, more
suited to a 1950s-sized living room. I do understand where OP is coming
from- it took me several months to find one suited for my 1960 living
room- all most stores had were monsters designed for the huge living
rooms in McMansions.

--
aem sends...