Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Garage Door Woes - The Next Chapter

On Feb 10, 5:55*pm, Fleemo wrote:
My problem with the garage door opener not closing has continued for
weeks now. The door lowers to about 2/3 of the way down, then
reverses. I called one company to repair it. *They charged me $85 for
the service call, and an hour later it was doing the same thing. *He
came back out, made some more adjustments, then said if it continued
to act up, I'd need to replace the opener itself. *The opener is less
than four years old. *I called a second company to assess the problem
and they tell me the springs need to be replaced -- a mere $400 job.
At this point, I don't know who to believe. *Is it likely the opener
went bad in only four years? *Does this problem sound like it could be
alleviated by a new set of springs?

Springs can be adjusted on my unit, when I had trouble, mine would
open later by itself, I called the co that made the opener and they
guided me through motor adjustments for force and travel. As others
said unhook the door and see how it operates by itself, I think the
springs set right should make force fairly equal up and down. When
springs are right then its settings for force and travel.