Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Receptacles -- # of wires per screw

On 2/10/2009 5:37 AM Seth Goodman spake thus:

In article on Mon,
09 Feb 2009 22:47:38 -0800, David Nebenzahl wrote:

On 2/9/2009 10:12 PM Steve Barker spake thus:

the multiple cable outlet should be pigtailed out anyway. Only ONE
black, ONE white, and ONE bare go to the outlet. To daisy chain them
using the multiple screws is sloppy and asking for trouble.

Are you saying not to use both screws on a duplex outlet? I do this all
the time, and it seems perfectly safe and sensible, and saves a lot of
unnecessary pigtailing.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you said.

By placing the receptacle in parallel with the circuit by pigtailing,
downstream outlets are unaffected by a problem with the receptacle, or
its outright removal.

But the only problem with the receptacle that could affect downstream
devices would be if the metal "bridge" between the two screws somehow
burned or melted out; pretty unlikely to happen. I still think this is a
perfectly good wiring method.

--
Personally, I like Vista, but I probably won't use it. I like it
upgrades. As long as there is hardware and software out there that

- lifted from sci.electronics.repair