Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Internal Combustion Breakthrough?

On Tue, 10 Feb 2009 11:50:33 -0600, "Leon"
wrote:

"Keith Nuttle" wrote in message
. ..

People including those in Washington do not understand there is a fixed
amount of energy in the Carbon bond. When the Carbon molecule is oxidized
it release a known amount of energy that can be calculated. (This energy
can be found in any Handbook of Engineering, Physics, or Chemistry and
probably hundreds of sites online) Regardless of what you do, you can
only recover 100% of this energy. Hence with cars to get higher miles per
gallon you have to reduce the size of the car. A roller skate should be
able to get a couple of hundred miles per gallon.

Like Bigfoot, I have heard of the supper carburetor for years, but it
still is not real.

While any given fuel does in deed only has a fixed amount of stored energy
reducing the size of the vehicle is not the only way to increase gas
mileage. Simple engine tweaks can do this, advancing the ignition timing
will do this. I currently have a heavier, taller truck with an engine that
produces approximately 50% more horse power than my previous truck. It gets
at least the same, often better gas mileage than the older model did when it
was the same age.
It is simply a matter of getting more out of the fuel burn than what has
been gotten in the past. Some engines burn fuel more efficiently than
others. Because most gasoline burning engines do not do not get 100% return
on the fuel that they burn they can be improved to do better.
With the common day usage of on board computers and fuel injectors gas
mileage has improved dramatically over the last 30 years. You can look as
fuel injectors as the today's "super carburetor".

While it is true that fuel mileage has improved over the last few
years, Ford's Corporate Average Fuel Economy for the whole fleet is
the same as it was in 1919 with the model "T" - aprox 21MPG US.