Posted to rec.woodworking
Chris Friesen Chris Friesen is offline

Default Internal Combustion Breakthrough?

Robatoy wrote:

I can't see it keeping cool either. The method of displacement might
be different, but exothermic BTU are just that, exothermic.
850 HP of heat, is a lot of heat and in a concentrated package like
that?

Technically, any heat (or sound) produced by an engine is wasted energy.
An ideal engine would produce no heat or sound, having converted all
the chemical energy into mechanical energy.

Consider my house furnace, for instance...it converts 95% of the fuel
energy into useable heat. The exhause is cool enough that it uses
plastic pipe for the exhaust.

Given that current car engines are something like 35% efficiency, there
is a lot of room for improvement.

Chris