Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default Internal Combustion Breakthrough?

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message

That already happened. He offered it to the big three car companies and
the only way they would do it if he signed over control to outside
parties. Which is why he went dark for two years. The military also
offered to bankroll him if he produced the engine just for them. He said
no.

His game plan is to start a small manufacturing plant and offer franchises
to retrofit existing vehicles. Once that is developed enough, he would
then license the technology to others. Thereby maintaining control and
ownership.

There is a lot of interest in this technology and NASA has given him an
award. It is getting out there in terms of working pototypes, etc. The
trick, of course, is a working engine for sale. If he pulls that off, it
will get very interesting.

As for the skeptics, read his stuff. He explains how he does it. I have
two primary concerns. The first is that the metals, machining, bearings,
etc will all work together in a fashion that the engine would be viable
for a reasonable service life. The other concern is that some psycho (or
spook) will blow him away.

It would probably be a good idea for him to talk with the SawStop people,
they successfully made it happen with similar skepticism and pit falls.
I am not so sure that I would be too concerned about connectivity initially.
The car sized engine would be tiny, IIRC the inventor held up a coffee can
sized object suggesting that a car engine could be that size. With mass
production cost would come down and something that small would probably be
similar in cost to a starter motor. So you have to replace the motor 3 or 4
times during the life of a car, not totally unlike replacing 3 or 4 sets of
tires and or 2 or 3 batteries.