Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal
Ste[_2_] Ste[_2_] is offline

Default Moving Electricity Meter

On 10 Feb, 20:30, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

It really depends on how much usage it was clocking up with the supply
turned off.

ca. 200 units (m^3) a day. Is that enough for you? *If that were a real
leak, I'd be living in the middle of a lake by now.

Haha. I see.

Frankly, I *don't even see how* a water meter could clock
up units without water actually passing through the meter.

Well, it did. *It was an electronic ("Smart") meter. *It had an LCD
display and a usage indicator that flashed when water was running. *This
indicator was flashing like crazy and the reading incrementing even with
the mains stopcock fully off.

Ah right, electronic, I see. My mistake.

The replacement meter is a traditional mechanical one and behaves as it
should.

Yes, a mechanical one should be far more reliable - if it does
malfunction, it's likely to malfunction in your favour.

Personally I think you just harangued them until the bosses told the
engineers "just replace the bloody meter".

sigh Exactly the patronising attitude I got from the UU staff. *They
simply refused to believe an electronic meter could possibly be faulty. *

Indeed, I would expect an electronic meter to go faulty more often,
not less.

Thankfully, the third engineer was a bit more clued up, agreed the meter
was duff and replaced it. *It's been fine since.

Thank god for common sense. I presume the third engineer was an
engineer instead of the dreaded "meter fitters".

ps. Did I mention you were a patronising ****?

You didn't, but many other have. Haha.