Posted to uk.d-i-y
John John is offline

Default uPVC door - unable to deadlock from outside

"Al, Cambridge, UK" wrote in message
I have a 15-year-old Anglian uPVC front door.
To deadlock: I raise the outside handle to shoot the deadbolts top &
bottom, then turn the lock (EuroLock) to lock them. Except today -
lifting the outside handle doesn't shoot the deadbolts.
I removed the handles and found that the mechanism engaged by the
outside handle turns freely without acting on anything; the inside
handle is still able to move the deadbolts and to retract the night-
latch as normal.
To get off to work, I have bodged the square-section bar on the
outside handle to turn both inside & outside mechanisms so I can
deadlock the door and open it again (I hope), but that leaves the
outside handle also able to open the night-latch.
So something has definitely gone wrong inside the door, so I'll have
to dismantle it.
I wonder if anybody can tell me what to expect when I take it apart?
Thanks in advance for any help,
Al

Has the square hole become rounded and is no longer engaging the shaft?