Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rick... (The other Rick) Rick... (The other Rick) is offline

Default reciprocating/sabre saw recommendations?

On Mon, 09 Feb 2009 17:07:38 +0000, Stephen wrote:

Hello,

I was wondering about buying a reciprocating saw for general DIY use.
Do you find them to be very useful? Is it worth investing in one?

Since I'm not going to be using it intensively, I don't want to be
spending hundreds of pounds. What budget models do you recommend?

DO you think cordless is as good as corded?

Thanks,
Stephen.

The only thing I find a saber saw useful for is to cut apart old pallets for firewood.

They do not make accurate cuts and vibrate like crazy.

I have the Ryobi One+ saw with Lithium-Ion batteries. (£50 for the saw, £150 for 2 batteries and
charger) The batteries get sucked dry in about 5 minutes or less.

For general DIY use, I would go for a circular saw and a jigsaw if you need one.
Rechargeable is nice, but expensive.
A good rechargeable drill is worth it weight in gold.

If you get cheap rechargeable stuff, from B&Q for instance, be prepared for the batteries to die in
about a year or less and to be no longer available. BTDTGTTS

Just my 2p worth.
Rick... (The other Rick)

Science and sound engineering will always prevail in the end
"for nature cannot be fooled" [Feynman]