Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default reciprocating/sabre saw recommendations?

The Medway Handyman wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
SNIP
The Axminster white one is ok ish, it has a hex head machine screw and
Allen key for blade change though which is PITA. It does have enough
power though, and takes cheap standard blades.

Hi John

Funny, my experience with a succession of el cheapos leaves me prefering the
hex head machine screw method for blade change.

You're right it can be a PITA, but at least the blade stays put! The
cheapies I've had with Q/R blade change have been a bigger PITA because it
kept falling out. The best cheapie I've had is a SF Titan, lasted longer
than the others & the blade stays in place.

I have a feeling when we wrote that FAQ, the option of QR blade change
was limited to the more expensive tools anyway.

The mechanism on mine is ok, but still lets go from time to time.

I guess a better brand would have a better Q/R blade system, but I rarely
used a recip saw so I've never bought a decent one.

The fact that you have been through more than one would suggest that
your usage is not that infrequent! I am still on my first.

--
Cheers,

John.