Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Land Rover Disco 3 voltage regulator levels

In article ,
Ron Lowe ronATlowe-famlyDOTmeDOTukSPURIOUS wrote:
Googling this, I have seen people saying the disco uses some fancy
automatic system to optimise the charge voltage which takes into
account all sorts of things including vehicle electrical load at the
time, and temperature ( the battery is apparently temperature sensitive
), and possibly phases of the moon.. This can apparently cause the
charge voltage to vary up to 15.5v, I've read. ( It's -9 degrees here
at the moment, and the vehicle electrics are often well loaded with
heated windows and seats, wipers, fan blowers etc. )

Am I seeing a fault ( voltage regulator on the alternator ), or is this
just within normal tollerances with these vehicles?

Wonder if it's the Ford designed system where the engine ECU controls the
alternator? IIRC, called smart charge.

This might be some help. But just found by Googling so...

http://www.seat-skoda-service.co.uk/...t_charging.htm

--
*We waste time, so you don't have to *

Dave Plowman London SW