Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson Jon Elson is offline

Default French fighters grounded due to Windows virus

Pete C. wrote:

Yes, but that doesn't answer my question - What exactly are people
carrying on these USB thumb drives? I'm just trying to figure out what
the use is.

They may well be carrying flight plans and other
planning stuff from insecure computers to secure
systems. It is almost de rigeur that security is
increased until people can't perform their daily
work without breaching the security system in some
way. Everybody thinks they have done such a GREAT
job securing everything, and then all hell breaks
loose when they find out that general users have
been moving stuff around on floppies, CDs, thumb
drives, or whatever the latest technical wrinkle
is, and voiding all the careful security
procedures. Sometimes it makes such a big mess it
winds up in the papers. I'll bet this was the
same thing, the security honchos thought there was
no need to mess with mandatory security upgrades,
as there was "no way" any viri could find their
way into the secure inner sanctum of their
network. Ho ho ho!

Jon