Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel[_2_] Doctor Drivel[_2_] is offline

Default Land Rover Disco 3 voltage regulator levels

"Frank Erskine" wrote in message
On Mon, 09 Feb 2009 22:49:51 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Mon, 9 Feb 2009 21:40:30 -0000, Ron Lowe wrote:

I found it to be 15.6v with the engine running. IMHO, that's too high,
and possibly the cause of the lamp problem.

Agreed, stop faffing about and take it to the dealers to sort out. Report
the blowing of bulbs and the voltage you have found. It's not right, stand
your ground firmly and politely.

Around 13·8V is the usual - that's why so-called 12V power units for
mobile CB and amateur radio are normally rated at 13·8.
I would reckon that anything much in excess of 14V needs looking at.

14.4 v is the normal from an alternator. 14.5 should be fine. It should
drop about a volt when the lights and demister are on. That is how you
test the alternator with a volt meter.

If you have a clamp on ammeter. When battery is dead the amps should be 0
then rise until around 20 amps once he battery starts to take the charge.
If it goes to around 10 amps or less, do the battery test.

The battery test is, charge until it is 12.2 volts. Disconnect the ign coil,
so engine does not start. Turn over the engine for 15 seconds. If the
battery dies, then it fails the test.