Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default French fighters grounded due to Windows virus

cavelamb wrote:

Pete C. wrote:

On 2009-02-09, Pete C. wrote:
I'm still wondering about that one... what exactly are people carrying
around on said USB "keys"? Their pirated music is on their iPuds and
most software won't run directly off a USB "key". I never carry stuff
on a USB "key" as I am able to readily access whatever I might need
from my home systems remotely over the 'net, even from inside the
heavily firewalled corporate network.
In Windows, a USB thumb drive can contain certain executables like
autorun.exe, or some such, and Windows would automatically execute them.
This is convenient under some assumptions, but not very safe if your
thumb drive is made in China. There was a big scandal recently about
USB thumb drives from China containing malware.
... or if your USB drive has been plugged into a machine carrying the
virus.

Yes, but that doesn't answer my question - What exactly are people
carrying on these USB thumb drives? I'm just trying to figure out what
the use is.

Oh!

Ok, I have one for my cad stuff (16 Gig!)
and another 16 gig for my iPod library.

Then two 8 gig with the coastal nav charts for the gulf coast (redundant)
And another for the Columbia river charts.

I have four 8 gig for transferring movies from home to the ships computer.
We don't take the DVDs out of the house. Too expensive to replace and too
delicate to survive being tossed around the boat.

A 4 gig with setups for the laptops.

One is dedicated to legal documents.

Basically anything you'd put on a CD.
Especially if it would take multiple CDs to cover it.

It that what you were asking?

Yep, pretty much.