Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default French fighters grounded due to Windows virus

Steve Ackman wrote:

In , on Mon, 09 Feb 2009
09:37:21 -0600, Ignoramus17377, lid wrote:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...ter-virus.html

One has to wonder how easy it is to remove military capability,
without even using any conventional weapons.

When I worked for the Navy as a machinist, I had the
"additional duty" of ISSO - Information Systems Security
Officer.

This was in the days when most of the machines in
the shop ran DOS 5.0, with the rare DOS 3.3 or
Windows 3.1. All of the machines were on a LAN, but
nothing connected to the outside world. My primary
duties wearing that hat were to keep McAffee updated,
inspect machines for unauthorized software (and attend
the somewhat inane security meetings). The sole
vector at the time was people bringing software in on
floppies (which they had downloaded from a BBS).

A few years later, I looked back on that experience
as a bygone era. Viruses just don't get transmitted
that way anymore when the internet is so much more
efficient. Ha.

Now it's USB keys.

I'm still wondering about that one... what exactly are people carrying
around on said USB "keys"? Their pirated music is on their iPuds and
most software won't run directly off a USB "key". I never carry stuff on
a USB "key" as I am able to readily access whatever I might need from my
home systems remotely over the 'net, even from inside the heavily
firewalled corporate network.