Posted to rec.woodworking
Marty[_8_] Marty[_8_] is offline

Default Decorative Inlay Veneer

I have to replace the banding on the lower left and upper right of this
secretary.
http://www.gvtc.com/~mellisb/IMG_1313.JPG
I finally found the inlay, but they have not responded to my attempts to
contact them.
http://www.roxing.com/woodinlay3.htm

So it looks as though I will have to make it myself. I have plenty of
veneer, but nothing as dark as what I need. I have never dyed wood and was
wondering how well dyed wood will glue and accept a finish. I was looking at
the Solar-Lux Black stain and was wondering what the Retarder was used for.
I am also curious about the Homestead TransFast Dye Powder and the TransTint
Dyes. Favorite brand of glue suggestions are welcome as well.
I don't have much to replace, but would it be better to glue up long strips
into a single board and slice what I need or individually cut each piece?
If anyone has any idea where I can find this please let me know. It is 7.5mm
wide, but I think 1/4" will be just fine.
I looked at the antiques newsgroups, but they just looked like places to
buy, sell and identify antiques. I thought this place would be a better
choice to post such questions.
Thanks.