Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Zircon stud detectors

Stephen wrote:
On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 21:50:20 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

Triscanner pro. You approach the stud from both directions and hence can
mark its edges (and span). Finding the centre is left an an exercise for
the user ;-)

I was looking to buy a Triscanner Pro but I think they have been
discontinued. I have the Multiscanner Pro SL which was the next
nearest thing, I think. I had a problem with a lot of false positives,
I.e. it telling me there were studs where there weren't any. In the
end I ripped down the wall and found there were no studs at 60 cm or
40cm; only around the edges of the plasterboard! I guess the
recommendations have changed since the house was built in the 1970s,
or was it built by cowboys?

The problem seems to be that if you press harder on the scanner or
relax slightly, the microscopic movements towards and away from the
wall cause it to think there is a stud where there isn't.

If it is like mine, it does a calibration as you push the on button.
Where it is when this happens makes a difference to the sensitivity. So
try either pushing hard while it cals, or holding it away from the wall
a few mm and see if that gets different results. I find mine works well
on ordinary stud walls - even where they have been artexed - however it
can't cope with foil backed plasterboard.

--
Cheers,

John.