Posted to sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.basics
Ross Herbert Ross Herbert is offline

Default UK source for this magnetic switch?

On Sun, 08 Feb 2009 20:01:18 -0800, David Nebenzahl
wrote:

:On 2/7/2009 3:32 AM Terry Pinnell spake thus:
:
: Can anyone point me towards a UK source (phone or online) for an
: inexpensive cylindrical, enclosed reed switch, N/C, for use in a
: burglar alarm circuit please.
:
: I'm still googling but so far without success and want to place an
: order for delivery Monday.
:
:Sorry, I can't help, being in the US where things like this are
:trivially easy to get.

Have you been wondering why the OP has not bothered to respond to any of the

I would bet my last cent that he is a troll and many have been drawn to the
apparently innocent "come in sucker" question. Nobody is so dumb that he doesn't
know that such devices are readily available from any number of electronics
parts outlets. They are just as trivially easy to get in the UK as in the US.
For example, Maplin is well known to all electronics hobbyists...
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...eed%20Swi tch
and many others carry similar items.

:
:Just one thing: did someone here say that switches like this were
:typically N/O rather than N/C? And that such could be used for an alarm
:circuit?
:
:Think about it: if you have a N/O switch as an alarm sensor, all the bad
:guy has to do to get in is to cut it out of the circuit. There's a
:reason alarm switches are normally closed.
:
:Hard to believe a N/C reed switch wouldn't be easy to buy somewhere in
:England.