Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
StephenM[_2_] StephenM[_2_] is offline

Default Looking for chainsaw advice

Thanks all for the input.

I'll be going for the Stihl w/o the tool-free chain adjust. The corrsponding
Husky was $20 cheaper but 10% less HP and a 1/2 lb heavier. Also, the bar
attachment had only one smallish nut rather than the two w/ an integrated
flange in the Stihl.

Cheers,

Steve

"StephenM" wrote in message
I would like to upgrade the low-end 14" saw that I purchased a decade ago
to help clear the mess after an ice storm. What I would like is something
with a little more balls, a little more bar and something which less
finicky to start, adjust and maintain. Also, keeping the weight down is a
plus.

It will be used for prepping bowl blanks for my Jet 1442 (14-inch swing)
minor yard cleanup and cutting all of about 2 cords of wood a year.
Realistically, it will see about a dozen hours of use annually, if that.

Locally I have both a Stihl dealer and a Husqvarna dealer, each of which
have good service departments, so that seems like a good place to start.

I'm leaning to the Stihl 325. The CB model has a tool-free chain
adjustment and a E-Z start (spring-wound starting assist) but I think
that's probably a poor tradeoff as I would rather pull the cord than carry
an extra .7 lbs.

Is there any other features or models that I should be looking at
specifically be looking for?

Thnaks,

Steve