Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
june june is offline

Default Opinions about a JET JWL-1236 Wood Lathe?

On Feb 8, 7:10*pm, Flash Gordon wrote:
I'm thinking of adding a lathe to my home/recreational wood shop. * A
friend may have one for sale. *It's a

JET JWL-1236 Wood Lathe

I saw them online for a little under $800. * I don't know what the
used one will go for, but is anyone here familiar with this lathe?

Is this a good lathe? *Opinions?

Flash...
I've had my Jet 1236 for about 8 years. It has done what I've needed
it to do, although I don't push the limits of it's capacity. It has a
Reeve's drive... i.e. 2 pulleys that change the effective diameter...
to change speeds. Some people don't like that but I've always found it
has good response and little slipping. It limits the slowest speed to
500 though. Wish it went slower sometimes. I added angle brackets
below the shelf along with a couple of boards which allow me to slide
in a tube of sand for added stability and I also built an upper shelf
for tools. I paid about $550 for mine years ago, so depending on the
age of this one... you probably shouldn't pay more than that.

June