Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Gas powered battery charger.

On Sun, 08 Feb 2009 16:01:53 -0600, Ignoramus24731

On 2009-02-08, RogerN wrote:
I wouldn't want it for a stranded car because you could just jump start the
car unless it's positioned where you can't get close enough to jump start.
My recent experience was that my truck was stranded at home and I had to
wait a while to get enough charge to get it to start (diesel pickup with 2
batteries). So I was thinking of buying one of those heavy duty battery
chargers but even that would be useless if you lost power, unless you have a
generator. For the price of a heavy duty battery charger I thought I could
buy a $100 Wal-Mart lawn mower, then with an alternator, belt, and motor
pulley I should be in the $200 range for a portable high current battery
charger. So, after the ice and snow and getting enough charge to start the
truck, I thought it would be nice to have a small gasoline powered charger
that I could put in the truck just in case the truck doesn't start after
work.

A lot easier would be to buy a good DC power supply.

I have this one:

http://yabe.algebra.com/~ichudov/mis.../ebayhist.html

(I am no longer selling them). Or a proper battery charger, should
cost you $100 or so used.

There are many battery chargers that have decent capabilities.

Is your system 12v or 24v. 24v may get you into realm of forklift
battery chargers.

Other uses would include being able to take it along when fishing to
recharge the trolling motor battery and taking it to the R/C flying field to
recharge the battery used to charge the electric models. Also could be nice
for camping or anywhere else that 12V lead acid batteries need charged. One
of the websites I saw used one for charging their drag car between races.
From what I've been reading I should be able to make my own regulator
control to recharge other voltage vehicles like golf carts, electric fork
trucks, or whatever up to around 110V or so. I just wish I could figure out
a way to make it work in a small, light, and economical package.

Considering all the time and various doodads, pulleys, switches,
guards, dolly, etc, I cannot see how you can make one cheaper than
$300-500, even without adding your time to the cost.

Well, I have 3 engines floating around that would be canditates, as
well as about 5 alternators. And if I want to buy an old Delcotron I
can get one for $50 or less. I have an old set of bed-rails stashed in
the shop, so if I can't put one together for under $100 their's
something drastically wrong. I also have an engine that's WAY too big
- but have a generator that would be a good candidate for a 24 volt
system, or a welder, that would be about the right size for that 13HP
Kohler. Toal investment in all 4 motors is ledd than $75.

A used quality charger will cost you only $100 and will work great.