Posted to alt.home.repair
Nancy Young[_2_] Nancy Young[_2_] is offline

Default OT - Tax 'advance' loans

KLS wrote:
On Sun, 8 Feb 2009 11:34:40 -0500, "Nancy Young"
wrote:

I don't disagree with you at all. I would do the same. Many people
will not. Already she's come out and said she's not going to save
half. There are a lot of people who will just **** away their
paycheck without a second thought. Maybe if they are handed $3000,
they
might put it towards their mortgage.

I sure hope so. I also tell my students that they should be managing
their income stream to always have 6 months (MINIMUM!) if not more
worth of savings to cover their essential living costs in case they
lose their source of income. It's very interesting to watch people's
reactions when they stop to add up:

rent (or mortgage)
utilities
phone
cable/satellite
water
gas for transportation
car payment (?)
credit card minimums (?)
car maintenance/repairs (?)
childcare (?)
FOOD!

For a single month. Times six. Or times 12 for a year. And that's
just the basics.

Thank goodness for payroll savings plans. I always put
as much into mine as I could and spent my paychecks.
If I had to save that amount of money left to my own devices,
I don't know where I'd be today. It's best to get it out of
your paycheck before it hits your hands, that's what I think,
at least for a lot of people. I'm sure no angel.

I guess that's why I see where someone letting the IRS store
up a chunk of change for a lot of people isn't the worst thing,
if they don't blow it when they get their refund. At today's
rates, I don't know what they'd get, putting $100 something
in the bank every two weeks ... if that money ever saw the
savings account at all.

nancy