Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default Gas powered battery charger.

On Feb 8, 4:46*pm, "RogerN" wrote:
"Ignoramus24731" wrote in message
On 2009-02-08, RogerN wrote:

I've been thinking about mounting an automotive alternator on a small
gasoline engine to make a portable battery charger with respectable
output.

...I just wish I could figure out
a way to make it work in a small, light, and economical package.

RogerN

Lots of interesting ideas here. I've used a jump start battery pack to
start the truck when it had an excessive drain (stuck relay), run the
TV from a small inverter when the power was out, and power a winch
when I get stuck. It doesn't have the capacity of a gas generator but
it stores nicely behind the seat so I have it with me when the
generator is back home.

The Powermate emergency starter packss that are 2" square X 8" long
are even easier to store in the car. If you like to tinker they have
an inverter that bumps up the internal voltage so you could use one to
pump electricity "uphill" to fully charge one 12V battery from
another.

Jim Wilkins