Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ecnerwal[_2_] Ecnerwal[_2_] is offline

Default Gas powered battery charger.

In article ,
"RogerN" wrote:

I just wish I could figure out
a way to make it work in a small, light, and economical package.

Economical - pick up a free "broken" mower, which usually just needs the
snot cleaned out of the carb, rather than buying one. [or chainsaw or
weedwhacker or blower...]

Small - not too hard, if you get rid of the rest of the lawnmower and
make a frame to fit just the alternator and motor.

Light - well, here you'd want to look for a motor that's rather less
overkill for the job of running the alternator, so as to reduce the
weight and size of the biggest component. Unfortunately most common
engines smaller than the smallest-size pushmower engines are annoying
2-strokes.

However, if you were to do some crafty metalworking you could make a
nice little engine of exactly the size you want - and have some fun
shop-time to boot, while not spending too much money.

OTOH, for off the shelf (but not too economical, I'd guess) I wonder
what the bigger model airplane engines might do, power-wise. Hmm quick
look finds a 1.7 hp - but $450 - not too economical. Nice and small,
though.

If you have some really old junque I think the washing machine motors
(I've never seen a gasoline washing machine motor in person, but I
gather they were the tinkerer's engine of choice back in a day before
mine) would be about the right size.