Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default Rerouting an 1/2" rigid electrical conduit in the attic

On Feb 7, 9:14*pm, "MiamiCuse" wrote:
All my electrical lines are EMT conduits in the attic. *There is a perfect
spot in my bathroom I would like to install an exhaust fan but the 1/2"
conduit is in the way. *It is 4" above the ceiling board and I need 8" of
clearance to fit that fan. *I have considered all other spots and this is
the only logical spot for a variety of reasons.

Is there a way I can reroute this conduit "locally"?

What I mean is I have no idea where it goes and where it is coming from, *it
is in a tight spot in the attic and I can see as far as I can see with a
flash light and not sure where this conduit is going each way.

Can I cut the pipe where I would want the exhaust fan, and put in four 90
degree elbows to "offset" the pipe around the fan? *If so, how would I do
that?

I cannot think of a way to do this without having to insert two junction
boxes at the two cut ends. *Is that the only way?

You wouldn't have to move the offending conduit more than a few inches
to get it out of the way of an average size bathroom exhaust fan, and
that's if the conduit is miraculously exactly dead center of the
intended exhaust fan location. You might not have to mess with the
wiring at all. Since you have long runs of conduit, and the required
lateral offset is just 3 or 4 inches at most, you might be able to
just free up whatever clamps are holding the conduit in place
(probably very few in an attic) and see how much leeway you have.

Another alternative is to use the conduit wiring to feed the exhaust
fan. You should definitely know what the conduit feeds in any case,
so trace that out first, then see what sort of loads are on that
line. If the line can handle it you could open up the conduit and cut
the wire, add a couple of ganged junction boxes (both boxes side by
side to gain the required wire length inside the junction box to allow
the connections to be made) and make all of your connections using
whatever length pigtails you need to make the wiring work, and then
run the switch leg down inside the bathroom wall. While you're at it
you could add a light and/or receptacle up in the attic to facilitate
future work.