Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default Good Choice of Table Saw for very casual home use ??

PeterD wrote:
On Sat, 7 Feb 2009 21:40:41 -0500, "James"
wrote:

I am not a carpenter or even a handyman. The only kind of saw I have owned
for 25 years is a skill saw. Even with very casual use, I am still not
good at using a skill saw to cut a straight edge on a piece of plywood or a
2 x 4 !!

Perhaps several times a year, I will have a need to cut 2 x 4's , some
trim pieces , and perhaps some plywood. Because I am not really skilled
at using a skill saw, I have thought of getting a bare bones, but quality
table saw. Again, I just need something that will allow me to cut boards
and trim pieces and end up with a straight cut. It doesn't have to be very
high powered, or have a lot of fancy adjustments. I guess just an
adjustable fence (isn't that what they call it........ the piece you move
left and right, and put your stock up against for cutting?) and I guess
something that adjusts the depth of a cut. I don't think I would need any
angle cutting, such as a miter saw is used for.

So, what is a recommended brand, and/or a particular saw not exceeding $150
? Can I get a quality one for that price ??

I am thinking of looking at Sears and Home Depot, but wanted to get comments
here first.

Thanks for any advice !!

James

First your price limit is low, so it will be hard to find one that is
quality at that price. In fact, hard to find anything at that price.

Consider good used! With today's economy used tools are going for
pennys on the dollar, so a reasonable saw can easily be gotten for
$150.

Also consider seriously a radial arm saw instead of a table saw. Much
more versitle and will do (with some practice) everythign that a table
saw will do, and much, much more. Even a better Sears Crapsman radial
arm saw can be gotten used for virtually nothing. Try Craig's list and
eBay. If eBay, only bid on local items so you can inspect it first,
and pick it up to avoid shipping. These can be big and heavy so
shipping can be a PITA...

I gave away a really good condition crafstman radial arm saw last year.
The thing was a moose to move around, took up a lot of space and the
slightest jam would knock it out of alignment.

I ship 100 to 150 lb packages motor freight all the time, and for a
run from Virginia to NH (about 600 miles) we pay about $100 for the
shipment. UPS Freight and FedEx freight, if you have an account, can
be cheaper, we ship 200+ lb shipments from TX to NH monthly for about
$150 using UPS Freight.