Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
JR North JR North is offline

Default Gas powered battery charger.

There IS one, and only one small gas generator already made that can
produce 70A DC. No longer made, now. I picked one up off Ebay last
year for $45. needed carb work, but worked well afterwards. All the
current crop of small gens all seem to do just 8A or so DC. Heres one
I butchered:
http://www.seanet.com/~jasonrnorth/gen.htm
JR
Dweller in the cellar

On Sun, 8 Feb 2009 03:17:57 -0600, "RogerN" wrote:

I've been thinking about mounting an automotive alternator on a small
gasoline engine to make a portable battery charger with respectable output.
The purpose would be to charge auto batteries when there are no outlets
around. Of course you could do the same thing with a generator and battery
charger but I think you can get perhaps 70 amps or more from an alternator.
It would have been nice this winter when we had the ice & snow storm and the
battery was weak on the seldom driven 4WD diesel truck. Also could be
useful for camping and boating, could recharge the trolling motor battery on
the lake, etc...

RogerN

Dependence is Vulnerability:
"Open the Pod Bay Doors please, Hal"