Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Good Choice of Table Saw for very casual home use ??

"James" wrote:

I am not a carpenter or even a handyman. The only kind of saw I have owned
for 25 years is a skill saw. Even with very casual use, I am still not
good at using a skill saw to cut a straight edge on a piece of plywood or a
2 x 4 !!

Perhaps several times a year, I will have a need to cut 2 x 4's , some
trim pieces , and perhaps some plywood.

For 20 yrs I had a radial arm saw as my 'shop saw'. When it died I
got a table saw. After missing the ease of making angle cuts for
about 10 yrs I got a 12"chop saw last summer.

I'd say spend your money on a decent 12" miter saw- make sure it
swings left and right and has some good solid locking. buy a
foldable stand for it. The first time you cut 1/2" off a 4x4 with
one clean swipe you'll have to sit down and smoke a cigarette.

Make a fence like a couple people have described here for ripping and
cutting plywood.

Craigslist is worth watching- but after watching for several months I
got a better deal right from Bosch on a reconditioned saw- 1 yr
warranty.

http://bosch.cpotools.com/reconditio...ws/miter_saws/
BTW- the saw I bought after shopping for months for the best bang for
my buck was the 3912. I paid $317 for it--- now it is $229.
Still a bit over your budget [and you'll want a stand for it at some
point] but in the long run you'll be glad you splurged. Make the
Mrs. a nice octagon shadowbox frame & she'll love the saw, too.

Jim