Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Baron[_2_] Baron[_2_] is offline

Default UK source for this magnetic switch?

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Baron wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Jasen Betts wrote:
"electronic-parts distributor" in the UK implies a trade only
source with limited interest in selling to retail customers.
Those that do, typically charge exorbitant delivery, minimun
order and service charges - leaving the only real alternative to
be a toy shop called Maplin. Or eBay.

Find one where you can walk in off the street during business
hours if you demonstrate posession of atleast half a clue when you
walk in and pay cash they'll treat you ok.

The only one in the UK which has trade counters in several cities
is RS Components - and they won't serve someone walking in off the
street. And rightly so - a genuine client shouldn't have to wait
while an amateur asks for advice, etc.

Maplin is the place for that sort of thing.

Actally B&Q, Focus, Wikkes, Aldi, Morrisons, Even Asda have or have
had similar devices on their shelves !

But not a N/C one. You'll need to obtain the correct reed switch
elsewhere and fit it to the housing. Or just use a transistor to
invert the output as I suggested earlier.

All the ones I referred to were standard reeds with an actuating magnet
in a separate housing. Ak for burglar alarm systems.
I've never seen a normally closed one used for those, although I have
seen change over, SPCO, reeds used in electronic equipment.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.