Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Another Foundation going in

"Mark & Juanita" wrote

While this sounds great as far as insulation value, it seems like a
virtual banquet for termites and other vermin.

R-48, mas or menas.

That's what I originally thought. However, bugs are not a problem in the
vast majority of these homes in this climate. Plaster seals the bales,
allowing them to "breathe" and keeps the bugs out effectively. They are
surprisingly fire resistant as well.

Some older (100 years +) recently torn down to make way for tract homes and
the neighboring horses and cattle went right to work eating the 150 year old
hay.

We just don't know much about the method in our recent "age of
enlightenment":

http://www.sutton.com/articles/20/28/view-699

That said, it's not my house, I don't have to live in it, I'll try my hand
at building any type of home, and I'll make damn sure that it's done
"right", from top to bottom.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08