Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveB[_10_] SteveB[_10_] is offline

Default 6' Wood Fence

"Derek Lawler" wrote in message

"SteveB" wrote in message

"Jim2009" wrote

a lot of good stuff snipped

Visit/call your local fence company and see what they say.

Cheers,
Jim

Have you considered a rolling gate? Pretty sturdy, reliable, and safe.
But a little spendy.

Steve

I did think of it. " I had also thought of making a sliding gate on
wheels." I think that is the best way to do a gate for me.
I guess that is another way of saying a rolling gate. The spendy part is
not a problem as I have already saved money by not deciding not to do the
whole back fence.
The idea is to meet the code requirement of keeping my skiff out of sight
from the street. Judging by the neighbors yards and their boats all
around the development I am not by any means the worst offender. This
code enforcement babe is picky picky and seems to want to ride my ass.
Derek

Carefully check your codes. Read them yourself. A neighbor complained
because I had a travel trailer parked beside my house on a 40' wide dirt
strip. The code enforcer came out and told me it had to be in the back yard
or on concrete. I have a concrete driveway in front of the house. I asked
if that would be code compliant. He said yes. He also stated that I could
park it in the street for no more than 72 hours at a time. Until then, I
had parked on the side of the house, which abuts vacant land, so as to NOT
have it in front of the house or on the street. So from then on until I
sold it about a year later, it was in front of the house in the driveway or
on the street, which aggravated the hell out of my nosy neighbor. The
neighbor apparently called in and was informed of the "real" law, and
realized that they had it better before they stirred the pot. Read
carefully, because you may only have to have it behind a fence, and not
hidden from view. Many times those code people do not really know the laws
they are enforcing. Also learn the difference between a "wall" and a
"fence". Costwise, it is huge.

Steve