Posted to alt.home.repair
miamicuse miamicuse is offline

Default Now to frame new ceiling

"BobK207" wrote in message
On Feb 7, 6:30 pm, "MiamiCuse" wrote:
Due to AC duct work and clearances, I am having to create a lower ceiling.

The joists are 100" from the floor. The previous owner had framed a
ceiling
at 6'6" from the floor due to the need to route a large AC coil across
that
room. I removed the low ceiling board and framing, and had someone redo
the
AC coil a different shape and tuck it partly into the attic and was able
reduce the protrusion all the way down to 92" from the floor, still 8"
below
the original roof joists but that's the best I can do.

Now I need to frame in a new ceiling, I will mount to this a few lights
and
a ceiling fan.

What is the best way to frame this ceiling? The room is 7'6" in width and
have walls on both sides with studs 16" apart. I am thinking of using 2x4s
spaced 16" apart and attach them directly to the studs. I am not sure how
to make the attachment, was thinking of using some Simpson hangers but not
sure which one would work, however if I did, then when I mount the ceiling
sheet rock the edges will be wrapped in metal and I will have trouble
shooting drywall screws up.

Any ideas on what is the best way to frame this ceiling?

Thanks,

MC

MC-

How about running the 2x4 passed the face of the studs into the wall
cavity thus creating overlap for nailing?

Get out your framing gun & shoot a couple 16d shorts and you're done.

cheers
Bob

That sounds like it may work. I will check into it. Thanks!

MC