Posted to alt.home.repair
miamicuse miamicuse is offline

Default Rerouting an 1/2" rigid electrical conduit in the attic

"BobK207" wrote in message
On Feb 7, 6:14 pm, "MiamiCuse" wrote:
All my electrical lines are EMT conduits in the attic. There is a perfect
spot in my bathroom I would like to install an exhaust fan but the 1/2"
conduit is in the way. It is 4" above the ceiling board and I need 8" of
clearance to fit that fan. I have considered all other spots and this is
the only logical spot for a variety of reasons.

Is there a way I can reroute this conduit "locally"?

What I mean is I have no idea where it goes and where it is coming from,
it
is in a tight spot in the attic and I can see as far as I can see with a
flash light and not sure where this conduit is going each way.

Can I cut the pipe where I would want the exhaust fan, and put in four 90
degree elbows to "offset" the pipe around the fan? If so, how would I do
that?

I cannot think of a way to do this without having to insert two junction
boxes at the two cut ends. Is that the only way?

Thanks,

MC

Unless you're willing to remove & re-pull some wire.....the two
junction boxes is the only way I can see to do it.

If you do decide remove & re-pull, you'll have to find the boxes where
the run starts & ends. When you pull out the conductors, tie a 1/8"
nylon cord to wire so you don't have to run a fish fresh.

To accomplish your offset I would suggest making a multiple bend
offset segment at you can place in the conduit run using only two
couplers.

Of course you'll have to cut the cord to insert the offset and knot
the cord back together. You'll also have to buy replacement wire
since the run is now longer.

It all depends on whether you are ok with junction boxes in the attic.

cheers
Bob

I figured if I cut the wire in the middle, and rerun one side of it due to
it being longer to do the offset, I still need one junction box. The only
way to avoid it completely is to trace to both ends of this run and I can
shine my flash light to one end and see about 15 to 20 feet of it and same
on the other side. One end of it actually might go outside of the house
from the attic into the soffit to feed the soffit recessed lights on around
the exterior perimeter of the house, the other one may be a home run back to
the panel which means it will be over 70' from where I was standing. I
think cutting it there and offseting is much simplier.

Thanks Bob!

MC