Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Good Choice of Table Saw for very casual home use ??

"James" wrote in message
Perhaps several times a year, I will have a need to cut 2 x 4's , some
trim pieces , and perhaps some plywood.

So, what is a recommended brand, and/or a particular saw not exceeding
$150
? Can I get a quality one for that price ??

At that price you won't get much. Look for used. There are saws in the $250
range that will probably do what you want. Serious saws start at $800 and
go to $3500 or so. Local shopping papers often have five or ten saws listed
for sale. If you find one that has not been abused you may get a very good
deal. Belt driven saws are quieter and smoother running that direct drive
saws. The Ridgid saws at Home Depot are decent but more than your budget.

No matter what you end up with, take some time to learn how to use the saw,
how to use a push stick, learn to use the fence and miter properly and never
use them together or you can get kickback that is very serious.

The blade that come with the saw is OK for hacking a 2 x 4, but not so good
for serious trim cutting or plywood. Good blades start at $50, very good
blades are $100 and up.Freud is a good brand for the modest priced ones.