Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
benick[_2_] benick[_2_] is offline

Default Good Choice of Table Saw for very casual home use ??

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

James wrote:

I am not a carpenter or even a handyman. The only kind of saw I have
owned
for 25 years is a skill saw. Even with very casual use, I am still not
good at using a skill saw to cut a straight edge on a piece of plywood or
2 x 4 !!

Perhaps several times a year, I will have a need to cut 2 x 4's , some
trim pieces , and perhaps some plywood. Because I am not really
skilled
at using a skill saw, I have thought of getting a bare bones, but quality
table saw. Again, I just need something that will allow me to cut
boards
and trim pieces and end up with a straight cut. It doesn't have to be
very
high powered, or have a lot of fancy adjustments. I guess just an
adjustable fence (isn't that what they call it........ the piece you move
left and right, and put your stock up against for cutting?) and I guess
something that adjusts the depth of a cut. I don't think I would need
any
angle cutting, such as a miter saw is used for.

So, what is a recommended brand, and/or a particular saw not exceeding
$150
? Can I get a quality one for that price ??

I am thinking of looking at Sears and Home Depot, but wanted to get
comments
here first.

Thanks for any advice !!

James

I think your price range is low for a decent unit. A Ryobi *might* be
passable as some of their other products are. For my occasional table
saw needs I have a Bosch (branded) TS4000? contractors saw that has been
very good. I recall it being closer to $400 though.

Ditto on the Ryobi...I bought a 10" miter saw ($75) and a tablesaw with a
stand ($99) at Homedepot...Can't beat it for occasional use...But I ain't
into the , mine is bigger and better than yours crap....Just needed to
gitter done on a budget...LOL...Also have a duffel bag full of Ryobi
cordless tools ($150) that work good as well....