Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Using an AC-to-AC wall wart transformer/adapter in reverse

"Matt" wrote in message
..

I am measuring about 25.7 VAC at the output when the input is 117.5 VAC.

The thing is labeled "Plug-in class 2 transformer, Input: AC 120V 60Hz
35W, Output: AC 24VCT 700 mA".

So it is producing well over its nominal voltage. Can I conclude that it
is unregulated---that it is just a plain old transformer?

Can I expect the same _power_ capabilities in normal and reverse
direction? Your remark about current seems to indicate that.

It has a 3-prong (grounded) plug. What could that tell somebody about its
innards?

The ground plug is probably connected to the frame of the transformer or
maybe not even connected at all.

As I mentioned , within limits a transformer can be used either way. As
yours is rated for 35 watts, you can get 24 volts out at 700 ma or 7/10 of
an amp. The 24 volts and 700 ma is only abuot 16.8 watts. If connected in
reverse the best you can do is get around 120 volts out at about .14 amps.
Not too much you could power with that.

Most wall warts are not too efficiant and the voltage will probably drop a
good percentage with a load on them over the no load condition.