Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Saw Kickback

On Fri, 6 Feb 2009 14:42:56 -0800 (PST), wrote:

Fortunately I have not experienced circular saw kickback or chain
saw. I have read about it and I am wondering how strong it is,
though. I know the answer probably depends on the HP of the saw, the
material being cut, user posture and strength, etc. Is the force
imparted so strong that a reasonably healthy guy would still be able
to hold onto the saw (with two hands) or does the saw simply go flying
out of your hands?

Thanks,
Tim

Well, that really depends on what body part is hit, and how hard. It
is very possible to lose control of a hand-held tool, which is
something to avoid. Most user manuals explain how to use the tool
safely. A tool tuneup will help--many factors can affect control.
I've have not lost grip of a circular saw during kickback, but not
saying it doesn't happen. I'm sure there are hospital stories to
share.