Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default Your Opinion Of KVAR Energy Controller

In article
,
wrote:

On Feb 7, 11:21*am, Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,

wrote:
On Feb 7, 7:52*am, lwgriffin at gcgroup (TheGriff)
wrote:
TheGriff had written this in response
tohttp://www.thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/Re-Your-Opinion-Of-KVAR-E.
..
*:
You can spout all the technical you want about how they work or why
they
work but the proof is in the savings and in my case that was 50% the
first
month and 30% every month after that compared to last years KWH usage.
It paid for itself in less than 3 months.
I may be the exception but I live at the end of the powerline and I
have
to guess that is why my savings are so big.

-------------------------------------

Hmmm. * Does it bother you at all that it was 50% the first month and
then 30% every single month thereafter? * What exactly was so special
about month 1? *Did part of the device wear out? * * I also find it
hard to believe that every month is 30% less. * Unless you live in a
house with a constant load of lightbulbs or similar, everyone I know
sees considerable variation just from a month in one year to the same
month in other years.

I'd love to see an independent testing authority report on this
gizmo. * Seems there should be plenty of those available if it saves
anywhere near what is claimed. * It would be a near miracle device in
this day of high energy prices. * So, where is the report? * Consumer
Reports? * A university?

I bet Mythbusters would take it on, generically. They wouldn't trash a
brand but might be happy to examine power factor correction in general,
in residential applications.

That's a good idea. You should go to their website and suggest it.
I like the show and they do a good and fair job.

Arggh. Too much work. You have to register, and then join the users'
"discussion" boards, which they claim to monitor for interesting topics.