Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default Automobile engine cleaning using mixture of kerosene and oil

wrote:
On Feb 7, 12:18�pm, jasmin wrote:
Years ago when our engine oil got very dirty, we would drain out the
dirty oil, then add two quarts of kerosene and 2 quarts of clean oil
and run the engine for 15 minutes. Then drain out the dirty mixture
and then add new fresh oil. The oil would then remain clean for the
longest time. I have one hydraulic valve that must be hanging up and
want to try this to see if I can free it up. The tappet is very noisey
when the engine is cold but then quiets when it warms up.
The engine is a V6 Buick Century. Anyone have recommendations or agree
with this old practice???

good chance that will ruin the engine...

change oil, add slick 50 its a super lubricant, and may help.

oil additives are worlds better than years ago, and engines dont get
as dirty inside, unless you go way too long between oil changes.

but no oil cleaner or additive will fix a worn out part like a worn
out cam lobe......

best wishes

I wouldn't do it on an engine that I really cared about, but I think it
has a good chance of working. Sounds like a sticky hydraulic lifter and
that's the kind of thing that a good flush can rectify. Might want to
try something like Auto-RX on an otherwise good engine though. No
personal experience but it sounds like one of the few additive/flush
products that doesn't make the guys at BITOG shudder in horror.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel