Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Allodoxaphobia Allodoxaphobia is offline

Default goodbye to analog TV modulators

On Sat, 7 Feb 2009 21:02:28 +0000 (UTC), bz wrote:
(Samuel M. Goldwasser) wrote:
bz writes:

My digital converter does NOT pass analogue signals nor does it receive
xx.0 channels. When I try xx.0, it shows xx.1.

The feature is called "analog pass-through" and it is only present on
some DTV converter boxes (possibly a minority). You might get some
analog reception even on those without it, but that's just leaking
through or being picked up by the cables. They won't tune to the
analog channels.

For most people this won't matter after the switchover.

My vcr 'passes through' when turned off. I don't know why the DTV
converters were not designed to pass through when off. It couldn't cost
very much.

It is 'annoying' because there WILL be some analogue stations, even after
the drop dead date.

Some DTV converters _do_ pass thru when off. The Zenith DTT901 does --
and it's "coupon qualified". However, the pass thru appears best in the
VHF HI/LO range -- with "ok" signal on UHF Ch 21 -- "poor" signal on
UHF 32 -- and "un-useable" signal on UHF 57. THAT is going to be an
irritation for some folks that will expect to watch UHF LPTV stations.

Jonesy
--
Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux