Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bill Noble[_2_] Bill Noble[_2_] is offline

Default Looking for chainsaw advice

FWIW, I have an electric Sthil and am happy with it - but I don't live where
trees falling in an ice storm will be a problem. But, with that said, the
Sthil web site a few years back talked about a lumber company using the
electric saws and a portable generator - apparently greatly reduced operator
fatigue - so this might be a consideration. But, the Sthil electric saws
are more expensive than the gas ones - but they are hugely better than any
other electric I'm aware of. I posted my sad experience with "lesser saws"
a few years back, searching the archives will probably reval those posts

"Ecnerwal" wrote in message
In article ,
"StephenM" wrote:

It will be used for prepping bowl blanks for my Jet 1442 (14-inch swing)
minor yard cleanup and cutting all of about 2 cords of wood a year.
Realistically, it will see about a dozen hours of use annually, if that.

Either Stihl or Husqvarna is good.

If it's all in range of the house (and won't do much for an ice storm)
one poster here had gotten an electric Stihl and was quite happy with it
- can use inside, no fumes, no gas going bad on you, but not a joke as
electrics usually are. Not cheap either, but that comes with the
territory.

I have an MS290 (Stihl, "rancher") with 20 inch bar, and it's been very
reliable. 5 years and one service (fuel line broke - the way the saw is
assembled getting to that fuel line was tricky, so I handed it to my saw
shop). Get at least one spare chain, swap chains regularly, and replace
the sprocket when you wear out the chains. Flip the bar when swapping
chains. Beware gimmicks - a tool adjust chain is easy to adjust and
stays put, where a "no tool" adds more ways to go wrong. Sharpen with
every fuel fill. Crank the chain oil setting up - factory setting tends
to be a bit wimpy as shipped - you should go through nearly a tank of
bar oil to a tank of fuel, and always refill bar oil when refilling fuel.