Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking
cavelamb cavelamb is offline

Default Workshops for RVs and Sailboats

Pete C. wrote:
cavelamb wrote:

The question, of course, is what will you actually NEED - vs want.
They are quite different.

Richard

First off since I didn't see the original post, are we talking hobby
workshop or fix the boat in the middle of nowhere shop, as they have
quite different requirements.

I came across that very question while writing the above.

Are you a machinist afloat? You'll need a Navy support vessel to
carry a full machine shop.

Or are you a sailboat with some repair/make capability?

Second off, on your hookah setup, in the interest of saving space and
weight, I'd suggest you home-brew this one as a combo unit, combining a
small Honda gas engine with both a small water pump and a small oilless
air compressor with filter to feed the hookah. This should save weight
over two separate units. For the hoohah part you just need a suitable
oilless compressor with filter, and a normal SCUBA second stage
regulator on a long hose.

These are pretty much off the shelf items - at least at the local Northern Tools
store. Keeping them separate gives the greater flexibility.
The AC/DC den set can make power to run bumps and stuff, while an engine driven
pump can go anywhere anytime - all by itself.

I like the hooka suggestion, Pete.
My only beef with the oil-less compressors is NOISE (huh?).
But a way to compress and store air would lend itself to a home brew hooka.
The store-bought one is priced in Boat Units!

Also, 830W is 6.9A, not 10.5A which is probably starting surge. Either
way, a Honda EU2000i will run that, My EU2000i runs my camper A/C of
similar spec just fine.

I noticed that. Their web specs.

I was thinking about running off of the house batteries - with an inverter.
You couldn't dive without the genset running...