Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
bumhead bumhead is offline

Default My first pens (1/1)

Yes, Cut accross the grain. But, the wood will be weaker so when
you turn it don't be real aggressive or the wood will split out.
45 degrees or almost any angle like that gives some interesting and
beautiful patterns.
On Tue, 03 Feb 2009 16:24:57 -0500, wrote:

On Mon, 02 Feb 2009 20:55:59 -0600, bumhead
wrote:

Looks good. I've been making pens for a few months now. Sure is a
fun hobby. Domestic woods can make some beautiful stuff also. Cross
cut Oak is beatiful. I made a set using Australian Lacewood that came
out nice.
Make great gifts. I took 8 pen and pencil sets home for stocking
stuffer this past Christmas. Every one loved them.

On Mon, 2 Feb 2009 18:36:33 -0800, "jloomis"
wrote:

Nice work. they will show off quite well.
jloomis

When you say "crosscut" I assume you mean cut diagonally to
accentuate the grain ? I have access to plenty (much of it highly
figured) white oak. Perhaps I should experiment ...? Please let me
know just what you meant.

I remembered I had a 1 x 6 x 6' piece of padauk that I had purchased
20 some years ago for a project that I never ended up doing. Took
awhile to find it but I cut a piece off the and will give that a try
soon. =0)

Lenny