Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default OT - Tax 'advance' loans

"cshenk" wrote in message
"Mark" wrote

many people that are so poor they need to pay H&R Block or some other
store-front tax preparer the outlandish fees to get their tax return a
week or two earlier? With E-file they say you'll get it in about a week.

People who use them, don't really do it for the fast return, so much as a
complex tax situation beyond their own understanding. I happen to do my
own now but with software. I then e-file all but one state that wont let
a NR file electronically.

This isnt the level where you hire a tax consultant, but it is a case
where a person may well use HR block type services quite reasonably.

While you make a good point, I know of many people that use Block and they
use the EZ form. I do tax returns for a few people at work because they are
just lost when it comes to doing them. I do it for free, but the tax
preparers charge $100 or so.

In one case a worker asked me to use the fast refund option for an
additional $60 rather than wait two weeks. For someone making $10 an hour,
that is a lot of money to spend just to save a week, but he was desperate.