Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Looking for chainsaw advice

Got to love it when I see 'My old Husqvarna ... Rancher 55...'

I was using my Husqvarna (Sweden made) 50 with a 20" bar today cutting
an oak tree I dropped.

Have to buy a new bar for it - to many times a loose chain drug on it
so I flipped the bar over and the loose side is on top. Works good again.

I suppose I should get it to the dealer some day for a 50,000 log checkup.

Martin

Gerald Ross wrote:
StephenM wrote:
I would like to upgrade the low-end 14" saw that I purchased a decade
ago to help clear the mess after an ice storm. What I would like is
something with a little more balls, a little more bar and something
which less finicky to start, adjust and maintain. Also, keeping the
weight down is a plus.

It will be used for prepping bowl blanks for my Jet 1442 (14-inch
swing) minor yard cleanup and cutting all of about 2 cords of wood a
year. Realistically, it will see about a dozen hours of use annually,
if that.

Locally I have both a Stihl dealer and a Husqvarna dealer, each of
which have good service departments, so that seems like a good place
to start.

I'm leaning to the Stihl 325. The CB model has a tool-free chain
adjustment and a E-Z start (spring-wound starting assist) but I think
that's probably a poor tradeoff as I would rather pull the cord than
carry an extra .7 lbs.

Is there any other features or models that I should be looking at
specifically be looking for?

Thnaks,

Steve

My old Husqvarna has a compression release button to make starting easy.
Not sure if the later models have it. It is a rancher 55 and pulls a 20"
bar as well as the 18 that came on it.

My brother just got a saw with the tool-less chain adjustment. It either
doesn't hold well or the chain stretches because he is constantly
tightening his chain. (it is a cheaper saw. You generally won't go wrong
with a Stihl or a Husky.)

I just bought a Kubota 20' because my Husky was down and I needed to cut
some blanks beside the road before they were hauled away. It is a heavy
sucker but it has the umph. Wouldn't want to use it all day.