Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default Help.... fixing faux rock

On Sat, 07 Feb 2009 04:03:00 GMT, aemeijers wrote:

Oren wrote:
On Fri, 6 Feb 2009 17:51:46 -0800 (PST), Justme
wrote:

I live in a house with cement rock as decoration on part of an outside
wall and inside around a fireplace.
Recently a patch of the 'rock' and mortar both outside and inside have
falling off. I can see a metal mess below and cement/mortar.

How do I stick the big pieces back onto these fake rock walls?
The areas to patch are small and I have the chunks that fell off.

Thanks so much.

Add lime to the mix. Faux stones hold-up on ceilings this way.

Lime may add tack in the mortar.

Boggle.
Faux stone on a ceiling? Is any architect/building designer and/or local
code inspector THAT stupid? Sculptured plaster/stucco, or
fiberglass/plastic panels with actual mechanical attachements, maybe.
But even in a mud bed over chicken wire, anything with any weight is
going to fall at some point. Hell, they even require those epoxied-in
steel pins on thin-layer stone veneer on commercial buildings, now.

Faux stones hang on a entry ceilings (16 feet high) foyers: around
here in the desert.

16 foot ceilings and the stone stays in place.

Yes faux stone can be on a ceiling.